If you have never needed dental implants before, you may have never heard of one. What are dental implants? Each tooth implant is a state-of-the-art titanium tooth root that is placed in the jaw. It is used to hold a single tooth crown or multiple new teeth in an appliance.
What Can Dental Implants Do For You?
Teeth implants are secure and stable. Over time, they become a natural extension of your jaw, like a real tooth root. They’re permanent; they can last a lifetime.
Your implant dentist will place your titanium tooth root in your jaw through a fast dental surgery. Titanium is compatible with the human body, so the jawbone will bond with it and integrate it into your dental system. This means:
- You’ll be able to chew anything you want, even crunchy and sticky foods.
- You’ll be able to brush your teeth and floss normally.
- If you get a single tooth replacement, it will feel just like a natural tooth.
- A whole row of denture implants will feel like a real new set of teeth too.
Replacing a tooth can also keep the rest of your smile safe. An empty socket encourages other teeth to start migrating toward the gap, becoming uneven and getting worn down. The tooth implant process holds the other teeth in their place and strengthens the jawbone under the socket.
- Jawbone Support: Without teeth, the jawbone starts to shrink down from underuse. This can cause loss of support to the neighboring teeth, or, in extreme cases, cause the facial structure to change (think of people without dentures). Studies show that we lose about a millimeter of bone every year without an implant in place. Bridges or partials do not fix this problem.
- Tooth Migration: Teeth will always grow and tilt until they find another tooth to make contact with. This can severely compromise the support of teeth as they leave the socket looking to find new friends. By the time they find something to hit, they have almost no bony support and can get loose or fall out.
- Longer Lasting and Cheaper Long Term: The replacement rate for implants is much, much lower than bridges! Over a patient’s lifetime, implants are often the more economical option, in addition to being a healthier and safer option for the neighboring teeth.
What Is The Dental Implant Process?
During your implant process at Aliana Family Dental, you can expect to go through several restorative dentistry stages:
- Consultation: This is to determine if your teeth and jaw are ready for the dental implant process. Your teeth and gums need to be healthy enough, and your jawbone must have a certain profile at the implant site. We often use 3D dental x-rays to prepare.
- Dialogue: Your dental specialist will discuss the ways we fix teeth and the options that could work for you. Ask any questions and voice any concerns. Dr. Baratta knows what it is like to feel uncertain with a dentist, so we want to make you comfortable and informed.
- Bone Graft (Some Patients): Some patients need a dental bone graft before an implant. This strengthens the jawbone to hold the implant for the rest of your life.
- Implant Surgery: During a short, routine dental implant procedure at our dentist’s office in Sugar Land, TX we will give you local anesthesia and any sedation dentistry you need. We’ll quickly place a titanium tooth root in its planned position, using x-rays and scans to find the most optimal spot.
- Recovery: We’ll give your jaw several months to naturally bond with the implant. You’ll be able to keep your regular routine. We’ll place a temporary crown or denture so that you can chew in the meantime.
- Restoration: When the implant is secure and stable, we’ll attach your permanent tooth restoration. It could be a single dental crown that is shaped and colored to match your smile exactly. Or you may need a dental bridge or implant-supported dentures supported by several implants.
- Checkup: After an appropriate time of using your restored tooth or teeth, we’ll give you a follow-up exam to check if there are any issues and correct any we find (though there are often none).
Once your tooth is restored, get ready to chew any type of food you want to, smile for pictures, and speak normally again (if an empty socket caused a lisp before). Brushing and flossing will be easy, too, because a restored tooth is as stable as a natural tooth.
What Dental Implant Services Are Available?
We can do more than replace a tooth at Aliana Family Dental. We also provide:
- All-on-4® Treatment Concept Dentures: These are fixed dentures attached to several implants (usually 4). They won’t slip out when you chew or talk.
- Same-Day Implants: Do you need a new tooth fast? If your jawbone is right for it, we can perform this fast procedure that puts your implants and initial tooth restorations in place in one appointment.
- Bone Grafts: When you need a boost to your jawbone to complete the implant process, we have several bone graft materials available to stimulate your jaw.
Keep in mind that you will need good oral hygiene before you get an implant, and you’ll need to brush and floss regularly after getting your tooth restored, as well as use mouthwash. You’ll even need to keep your gums healthy.
Smoking and heart disease might also disqualify some patients, along with certain chronic diseases and radiation therapy. You’ll also need to be committed to regular dental checkups for years to come. You can discuss your case further at our dental practice in Sugar Land, TX.
Contact Aliana Family Dental For A Free Implant Consultation
Are you missing a tooth or teeth? You can work with Aliana Family Dental for a single tooth implant, several implants, and custom restorations, including crowns and bridges. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out if you’re a candidate.